[SydPhil] Thursday @ 3.00 Andy Egan "Expressivism, Truth-Conditions, and the Project of Semantics"

Kristie Miller kristie_miller at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 11:47:09 AEST 2017

Dear all,

This coming Thursday, the current projects seminar will be Andy Egan:

"Expressivism, Truth-Conditions, and the Project of Semantics"

There is a "production-first" way of thinking about the project of semantics - in particular, about what it is for a sentence to have truth-conditions - that makes expressivism seem at least very puzzling, and more likely impossible or incoherent. I'll look at an anti-expressivistargument from Frank Jackson and Phillip Pettit that presupposes this production-first way of thinking about semantics, and at David Lewis's articulation of a production-first picture of the project of semantics in "Languages and Language". I then argue that the choice of a production-first framework is unforced, and that adopting a different picture (either context-first or acceptance-first) allows us to recognize the possibility of a coherent expressivism.

As usual, papers are in the Muniment Room at 3.00.

Associate Professor Kristie Miller
ARC Future Fellow
Joint Director, the Centre for Time
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry and
The Centre for Time
The University of Sydney
Sydney Australia
Room S212, A 14