[SydPhil] MQ Philosophy Seminar on Tuesday the 8th of August: Raoni Padui (St John’s College)

Adam Hochman adam.hochman at mq.edu.au
Fri Aug 4 10:37:18 AEST 2017

Husserl’s Crisis of the European Sciences as a Historical Repetition of German Idealism

Raoni Padui (St John’s College)

Date: Tuesday, 8th of August
Time: 13:00 - 14:00
Venue: W3A 501*, Macquarie University

All welcome

*Note the new location

Abstract: The modern human lives within two worlds: one world of everyday experience, subjectively textured and directly lived, and another world structured by modern science, especially mathematical physics. This duplicity was an explicit theme of German Idealism in its attempt to reconcile human subjectivity with natural philosophy. In this paper I will investigate Husserl’s attempt to both diagnose and solve this problem, with special attention to how Husserl repeats several articulations from the Idealist tradition. I will argue that Husserl’s version of the problem brings into relief a particular historical dimension largely missing from the German Idealist version.

Contact: Adam Hochman (adam.hochman at mq.edu.au<mailto:adam.hochman at mq.edu.au>) or Mike Olson (michael.olson at mq.edu.au<mailto:michael.olson at mq.edu.au>)

---

Adam Hochman
Lecturer in Philosophy & Macquarie University Research Fellow

Department of Philosophy | W6A, Room 733
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

Staff Profile | http://www.mq.edu.au/about_us/faculties_and_departments/faculty_of_arts/department_of_philosophy/staff/adam_hochman/

Academia.edu Page | https://mq.academia.edu/AdamHochman

Philpapers Page | http://philpapers.org/profile/48626

Personal Website | adamhochman.com