[SydPhil] Miriam Schoenfield at Usyd Aug 18 3pm

Brian Hedden brian.hedden at sydney.edu.au
Fri Aug 4 08:45:20 AEST 2017

Hi all,

We're delighted to announce that Miriam Schoenfield (MIT) will be speaking at the University of Sydney on Friday, Aug 18 at 3pm (location TBD). All are welcome.

Her talk's title and abstract are:

Meditations on Beliefs Formed Arbitrarily
Abstract: This paper addresses the concern of beliefs formed arbitrarily: for example, religious, political and moral beliefs that we realize we possess because of the social environments we grew up in.  The paper uses accuracy-based considerations to motivate a set of criteria for determining when the fact that our beliefs were arbitrarily formed should motivate a revision.

Hope to see you all at the talk,

Brian