[SydPhil] Inner West Council Philosophy Talks: Anik Waldow (University of Sydney), "Empathy and the Ability to Understand Difference", Leichhardt Library, August 3, 6:30-8:00pm

Simon Lumsden s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au
Fri Jul 28 09:11:48 AEST 2017

Details of the next “Inner West Council Philosophy Talk"

Title: "Empathy and the Ability to Understand Difference"

Speaker: Associate Professor Anik Waldow (University of Sydney)

Abstract:  Empathy connects us with other persons: by feeling with them we can understand what goes on within their minds. This talk will investigate how empathy can be understood to possess an additional function. By looking at a short essay written by David Hume, I argue that empathy is indispensable if we want to comprehend cultural difference. It enables us to imaginatively enter into the situational settings of others and thereby makes it possible for us to broaden our minds, so that we gain more knowledge about the world and the reasons underlying the existence of cultural and moral practices that are very different from our own.

Thursday 3 August, 2017
6:30pm - 8pm
Leichhardt Library (Piazza Level - Italian Forum, 23 Norton St, Leichhardt)
Free event - All welcome - Light refreshments provided
Bookings online or call 9367 9266

Full details as well as registration for the event are available from this link:

http://www.innerwest.nsw.gov.au/EventViewTrainingDetails.aspx?Bck=Y&EventID=81358&DisplayType=C&m=

Upcoming talks:

Sept 5, Albert Atkin (Macquarie), "What do Children Know about Race and Racism?"
October 12, Jessica Whyte (Western Sydney University), “Human Rights and Neoliberalism"

Simon Lumsden
(Inner West Council philosophy talks program coordinator)

Simon Lumsden | Philosophy
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of New South Wales | Sydney | NSW 2052 | Australia
work + 61 2 9385 2369
s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au<mailto:s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au>
https://hal.arts.unsw.edu.au/about-us/people/simon-lumsden/