[SydPhil] BLACKHEATH PHILOSOPHY FORUM

Sandra Jobson Darroch sjd at cybersydney.com.au
Tue Jun 13 10:42:29 AEST 2017

    *BLACKHEATH PHILOSOPHY FORUM*

    *SATURDAY JUNE 17*

    **

    *6^TH TALK*

    *SATURDAY JUNE 17, 4pm-6pm*

    Hall at the Blackheath Neighbourhood Centre, cnr. Gardiner Crescent
    & the Great Western Highway, Blakheath.**

    **

    *“HABIT AND SOCIAL CHANGE”*

    TRADITIONALLY, philosophy has argued that reason and good argument
    have the central role in changing norms (values, standards). Our
    speaker will argue that social and normative change is a more
    complex process than offering good reasons. Understanding the
    difficulties involved in normative change requires an appreciation
    of the role of habit (or second nature) in the establishment of the
    norms that underpin much of our action. His talk will draw on the
    account of habit in Dewey and Hegel to examine the way in which
    norms become embodied.

    Speaker:Simon Lumsden
    <https://hal.arts.unsw.edu.au/about-us/people/simon-lumsden/>/Senior
    Lecturer in Philosophy at the University of NSW/

    **

    *Come and join us for a stimulating talk and lively discussion*,
    4pm-6pm, followed by informal discussion at the wine bar in Colliers
    Arcade.

    Admission $10 includes a big afternoon tea before question time.
    Hall is heated.All welcome!**

    For more program details please go to blackheathphilosophy.org
    <http://www.blackheathphilosophy.org>