[SydPhil] MQ Philosophy Seminar on Tuesday the 9th of May: Serene Khader (CUNY)

Adam Hochman adam.hochman at mq.edu.au
Fri May 5 10:05:21 AEST 2017

Decolonizing Individualisms

Serene Khader (CUNY)

Date: Tuesday, 9th of May
Time: 13:00 - 14:00
Venue: W6A 708, Macquarie University

I attempt in this talk to disentangle the forms of individualism that promote imperialism from those that are normatively central to feminism. I explore individualist justificatory strategies that neutralize the harms of neoliberalism, militarism, and cultural imperialism. I show that such justificatory strategies fail to distinguish what I call "independence individualism" from what I call "standing individualism" and argue that there are distinctly feminist reasons for skepticism about independence individualism.

Contact: Adam Hochman (adam.hochman at mq.edu.au<mailto:adam.hochman at mq.edu.au>) or Mike Olson (michael.olson at mq.edu.au<mailto:michael.olson at mq.edu.au>)

---

Adam Hochman
Lecturer in Philosophy & Macquarie University Research Fellow

Department of Philosophy | W6A, Room 733
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

Staff Profile | http://www.mq.edu.au/about_us/faculties_and_departments/faculty_of_arts/department_of_philosophy/staff/adam_hochman/

Academia.edu Page | https://mq.academia.edu/AdamHochman

Philpapers Page | http://philpapers.org/profile/48626

Personal Website | adamhochman.com