[SydPhil] Albert Atkin (Macquarie University) at the UNSW Philosophy Seminar on 'Racism as obstruction', 2 May 2017, 12:30pm - 2pm

Heikki Ikaheimo h.ikaheimo at unsw.edu.au
Wed Apr 26 19:38:34 AEST 2017

Racism as obstruction
When:   2 May 2017, 12:30pm - 2pm
Venue:  Morven Brown 310 (map ref C20)
Who:    Albert Atkin (Macquarie University)
[Albert Atkin]<https://hal.arts.unsw.edu.au/media/HALImage/cache/CP700500-Atkin_photo.png>

[https://hal.arts.unsw.edu.au/media/HALImage/cache/CP700500-Atkin_photo.png]

Philosophy Seminar

Abstract

In this paper I develop a philosophical account of racism as the obstruction of racial equality, justice, or fairness. I then trace out the consequences of this account in terms of (i) its ability to explain intuitively marginal cases of racism, (ii) to integrate with our ameliorative projects about race, and (iii) to give us grounds for a more subtle treatment than the moral opprobrium that usually comes with the labels "racism" and "racist".

About Albert Atkin

Albert Atkin specializes in philosophy of race and pragmatism. He also works in the areas of philosophy of language and epistemology, and in their intersection with applied questions in social and political philosophy. His publications include the monographs Peirce (Routledge 2015) and The Philosophy of Race (Routledge 2012) as well as of a long list of articles and book chapters.

https://hal.arts.unsw.edu.au/events/racism-as-obstruction/

For more information, please email:

Heikki Ikäheimo
h.ikaheimo at unsw.edu.au<mailto:heikki.ikaheimo at mq.edu.au>