[SydPhil] HPS Research Seminar - Huw Price,  'Heart of DARCness' 27 March

Dominic Murphy dominic.murphy at sydney.edu.au
Thu Mar 23 13:33:40 AEDT 2017

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0/images/4fed6c6d-233b-48a1-a3f9-8d84bd306ae5.jpg]

THE UNIT FOR HISTORY

AND PHILOSOPHY

OF SCIENCE
Held in conjunction with the Sydney Centre for the Foundations of Science
SEMESTER ONE
RESEARCH SEMINAR SERIES
MONDAY 27th MARCH 2017

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0/images/04c05e51-ac96-44e4-b8ba-a14b818b5a78.jpg]

HUW PRICE
Bertrand Russell Professor of Philosophy
Academic Director, CSER  & CFI
University of Cambridge

 'Heart of DARCness'
Huw Price and Yang Liu
There is a long-standing debate about whether an agent can hold a meaningful credence that she will perform some action, as she deliberates about whether to do so. No, say some authors, for Deliberation Crowds Out Prediction. Alan Hájek has recently criticised this thesis, claiming that it requires implausible 'credal gaps'. Hájek also surveys a range of arguments for the view, but finds them all wanting. We argue that Hájek's concern about credal gaps is misplaced – there are gaps, but of a benign variety, easily seen to be needed for more general reasons. And we offer what we believe to be a new argument for the thesis in question, though one that is closely related to arguments about which Hájek is particularly dismissive. Again, our argument proposes that the thesis is a corollary of more general considerations, well developed elsewhere – in particular, of the so-called ‘transparency' of first-person present-tensed reflection on certain of one's own mental states.

WHERE:
CCANESA MEETING ROOM, MADSEN BUILDING CAMPERDOWN CAMPUS

Best access to CCANESA is from the Eastern Avenue entrance of the Madsen Building. When you enter you will be on the 3rd floor. Please proceed across the foyer and take the stairs on the right up one floor. The door to CCANESA will be straight ahead on this landing

WHEN: Monday 27th March 2017
START: 5.30PM

All Welcome | No Booking Required | Free
PLEASE CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR ANY CHANGES TO VENUE OR TIME
sydney.edu.au/science/hps/

Copyright © *2016* *Unit for HPS,  All rights reserved.

This email was sent to dominic.murphy at sydney.edu.au<mailto:dominic.murphy at sydney.edu.au>
why did I get this?<http://sydney.us9.list-manage.com/about?u=377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0&id=61ae597b5c&e=58bfeadb0b&c=e77c344e9d>    unsubscribe from this list<http://sydney.us9.list-manage.com/unsubscribe?u=377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0&id=61ae597b5c&e=58bfeadb0b&c=e77c344e9d>    update subscription preferences<http://sydney.us9.list-manage.com/profile?u=377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0&id=61ae597b5c&e=58bfeadb0b>
Unit for History and Philosophy of Science · University of Sydney · Sydney, NSW 2006 · Australia

[Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp]<http://www.mailchimp.com/monkey-rewards/?utm_source=freemium_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monkey_rewards&aid=377ed99b00666e1febb7dbbc0&afl=1>