[SydPhil] [Sydney Seminar 26] Reminder: Dennis Schmidt, "What we owe the dead" - respondent David Malouf (Sept 22)

PhilosophyatWesternSydney philosophy at westernsydney.edu.au
Mon Sep 19 19:57:02 AEST 2016

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D212AF.FB3F4490]Dennis Schmidt: What Do We Owe the Dead?

Professor Schmidt will examine some of the most penetrating literary, philosophical, and artistic presentations of this ethical sense of what we owe the dead, and to ask what the ethical sensibility might mean and what sort of conclusions we can draw from it.

Dennis Schmidt is Research Professor of Philosophy at Western Sydney University. He is the author of numerous books, including Between Word and Image: Heidegger, Gadamer, and Klee (2016), Idiome der Wahrheit (2012), Lyrical and Ethical Subjects (2005), and On Germans and Other Greeks (2001).

The respondent will be David Malouf, the acclaimed author of many novels including Ransom, The Great World (winner of the Commonwealth Writers’ prize
and the Prix Femina Etranger), and Remembering Babylon (winner of the IMPAC Dublin Literary Award).

Thursday 22nd September, 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM

Metcalfe Auditorium, Macquarie Building, State Library of New South Wales

Adults $15, Friends and Concessions $10.

*Booking essential: http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/whats-on

Further Information: http://sydneyseminar.net/artphil/

Dimitris Vardoulakis
Western Sydney University
School of Humanities and Communication Arts
Bankstown Campus, 7.G.10
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith, NSW 2751
AUSTRALIA