[SydPhil] Neil Levy: Am I Racist

Kristie Miller kristie.miller at sydney.edu.au
Tue Sep 13 09:53:41 AEST 2016

Dear all,

This week's current projects will feature Neil Levy:

Am I racist?

There is good (though still controversial) evidence that ordinary agents harbour implicit attitudes that are sometimes at odds with their explicit beliefs. Many white Americans, for instance, exhibit an implicit bias against black people. Assuming that they are sincere in professing non-racist beliefs, are they racist? There are three influential models of racism in the literature: doxastic, behavioural, and affective. I will consider whether such agents are racist, measured against the standard each provides. I will argue that given the best evidence of the nature of implicit attitudes, they should be assessed as largely though not exclusively non-racist against the doxastic and behavioural standard, while the affective standard delivers a more mixed verdict.

As usual, papers are in the Muniment room at 3.00 at the University of Sydney. All welcome.