[SydPhil] MQ Philosophy Seminar on Tuesday the 13th of September: Milena Ivanova (MCMP)

Adam Hochman adam.hochman at mq.edu.au
Sat Sep 10 14:00:16 AEST 2016

Aesthetic Values in Science

Milena Ivanova (MCMP)

Date: Tuesday, 13th of September
Time: 13:00 - 14:00
Venue: W6A 107, Macquarie University

ABSTRACT: In this paper I explore the epistemic justification of aesthetic values in scientific practice. It is well documented that scientists use aesthetic values in the evaluation and choice of theories they employ. Aesthetic values are not only regarded as leading to practically more convenient theories, but are very often taken to stand in a special epistemic relation to the truth of a theory. That is, the aesthetic properties of a theory are regarded as intrinsically linked to the theory's truthlikeness, justifying our belief that a beautiful theory is a true one. I examine the empirical justification for this link and its challenges. I explore an alternative link which could overcome the noted difficulties and captures better scientific practice.

Contact: Adam Hochman (adam.hochman at mq.edu.au<mailto:adam.hochman at mq.edu.au>) or Mike Olson (michael.olson at mq.edu.au<mailto:michael.olson at mq.edu.au>)

---

Adam Hochman
Macquarie University Research Fellow

Department of Philosophy | W6A, Room 733
Macquarie University, NSW 2109, Australia

Staff Profile | http://www.mq.edu.au/about_us/faculties_and_departments/faculty_of_arts/department_of_philosophy/staff/adam_hochman/

Personal Website | adamhochman.com

Academia.edu Page | https://mq.academia.edu/AdamHochman

Philpapers Page | http://philpapers.org/profile/48626