[SydPhil] JEANETTE KENNETT ACU Philosophy Seminar Series

Stephen Matthews Stephen.Matthews at acu.edu.au
Mon Aug 8 11:45:18 AEST 2016

ACU Philosophy Seminar Series

Jeanette Kennett, Macquarie University

The cost of conscience: Kant on Conscience and Objection

The spread of demands by doctors and allied health professionals for accommodation of their private ethical, usually religiously based, objections to providing care of a particular type, or to a particular class of persons, suggests the need for a re-evaluation of conscientious objection in health care and how it should be regulated. I argue on Kantian grounds that respect for conscience and protection of freedom of conscience is consistent with fairly stringent limitations and regulations governing refusal of service in healthcare settings. Respect for conscience does not entail that refusal of service should be cost free to the objector.  I suggest that conscientious objection in medicine should be conceptualized and treated analogously to civil disobedience.
.
WHEN: Friday August 12, 2.30 PM - 4.00 PM
WHERE:

Jeanette will be speaking from North Sydney in room 24 located on the sixteenth floor of the ACU building, Tenison Woods House, 8 Napier Street North Sydney. If you wish to attend in North Sydney and you're unsure of where to go, please contact the convenor, Steve. (Stephen.matthews at acu.edu.au)

Talk will be videoconferenced to:

BALLARAT - CB1.104

BRISBANE- TC.19

MELBOURNE - 1.69 (250 Vic Pde)