[SydPhil] Sydney Ideas lecture ' Life in a Finely Tuned Cosmos' Wednesday 6 July

Meredith Hall meredith.hall at sydney.edu.au
Mon Jul 4 09:39:51 AEST 2016

Sydney Ideas<http://sydney.edu.au/sydney_ideas/index.shtml>

Life in a Finely Tuned Cosmos

Dr Luke Barnes,  Sydney Institute for Astronomy, School of Physics, University of Sydney

The Astronomical Society of Australia (ASA)<http://asa.astronomy.org.au/index.php> 2016 Harley Wood Lecture<http://asa.astronomy.org.au/hwl.html> for the ASA 50th anniversary Annual Scientific Meeting<http://www.asa2016.org/>

Over the last 40 years, scientists have uncovered evidence that if the Universe had been forged with even slightly different properties, life as we know it - and life as we can imagine it - would be impossible. With small tweaks to the way the Universe works, we can erase the periodic table, disintegrate particles and remove all traces of structure in the cosmos.

Join us on a journey through how we understand the Universe, from its most basic particles and forces, to planets, stars and galaxies, and back through cosmic history to the birth of the cosmos.

Luke Barnes is a postdoctoral researcher at the Sydney Institute for Astronomy. Having gained his PhD from the University of Cambridge, he has published papers in the field of galaxy formation and on the fine-tuning of the Universe for life. His forthcoming book co-written with Geraint Lewis, A Fortunate Universe: Life in a Finely Tuned Cosmos<http://www.cambridge.org/za/academic/subjects/physics/history-philosophy-and-foundations-physics/fortunate-universe-life-finely-tuned-cosmos?format=HB> will be published by Cambridge University Press in September.

RESPONDENT
Professor Mark Colyvan, Professor of Philosophy at the University of Sydney. His research includes work on philosophy of mathematics, decision theory, and philosophy of probability.

ABOUT THE HARLEY WOOD LECTURE
The Harley Wood Lecture was inaugurated in 1984 as an annual lecture in honour of the first President of the Astronomical Society of Australia (ASA).

More information<http://sydney.edu.au/sydney_ideas/lectures/2016/ASA2016_harley_wood.shtml>

Wednesday 6 July, 6 to 7.30pm

Venue:
Lecture Theatre 4002 (Messel)
Sydney Nanoscience Hub
Physics Rd
The University of Sydney
Venue location<http://sydney.edu.au/maps/campuses/?area=CAMDAR&code=A31>

Free event with online registration requested. Please click here <http://whatson.sydney.edu.au/events/published/sydney-ideas-asa2016-harley-wood-luke-barnes2> for the registration page.

MEREDITH HALL | Public Programs Manager
Marketing, Communications & Engagement | Division of Marketing and Communications
THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
[Description: Description: fb]<https://www.facebook.com/sydney.ideas>[Description: Description: Description: Description: tw]<https://twitter.com/Sydney_Ideas>[Description: Description: www]<https://sydney.edu.au/>[cid:image004.png at 01D1D5D7.F6374FC0]<https://soundcloud.com/sydney-ideas>

Lvl 2, Services Bldg (G12) | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 1935  | M 0403 367 842
E meredith.hall at sydney.edu.au<mailto:meredith.hall at sydney.edu.au>  | W  www.sydney.edu.au/sydney_ideas<http://sydney.edu.au/sydney_ideas>