[SydPhil] The Scientific Café - 20th June

lddp at outlook.com lddp at outlook.com
Fri Jun 17 16:57:45 AEST 2016

***Apologies for cross-posting****

Dear all,

Next appointment with 'the scientific café' is

Monday, 20th June 2016, 12:30—2:00 p.m.

Prof. Hedde Zeijlstra:

Saying more or less what you think

Abstract: When communicating with each other, we speak in sentences. But how do we know what a sentence means? Everybody will agree that the meaning of a sentence follows from the meaning of its words, and how these words are ordered. After all, the sentence 'Mary loves John' cannot all of the sudden mean that Bill bought a cake. However, sometimes we say more than we mean. Why do we say 'John walk-s' and not just 'John walk'? The -s in 'John walk-s' is fully superfluous. On the other hand, sometimes we say less than we mean. For instance, if I say 'Could you pass me the salt', I expect somebody to pass me the salt, and not just say 'Yes I could' or 'No, I couldn't'. Why, then, not just say: 'Pass me the salt'?

ALL WARMLY WELCOME!!

Further information:

https://www.uni-goettingen.de/de/the-scientific-caf%C3%A9/539996.html.

Best regards

Laura D. Di Paolo

Sent from mobile, please forgive possible mistakes

*************

Laura Desirée Di Paolo, Ph.D.

​"​Lichtenberg-Kolleg​"​ Institute for Advanced Study - Georg-August Universität - Göttingen, Germany

DPZ, Deutsche PrimatenZentrum - Göttingen, Germany

Leibniz ScienceCampus 'Primate Cognition' -​ Göttingen, Germany

Dept. Philosophy

"Sapienza", University of Rome - Rome, Italy

lauradesiree.dipaolo at gmail.com

https://sites.google.com/site/lauradesireedipaolo/

https://uni-goettingen.academia.edu/LauraDesir%C3%A9eDiPaolo

mob. +49 0152 56592602 (de)