[SydPhil] blackheath philosophy forum june 18

Sandra Darroch sjd at cybersydney.com.au
Sun Jun 12 09:10:05 AEST 2016

*BLACKHEATH PHILOSOPHY FORUM*

blackheathphilosophy.org <http://www.blackheathphilosophy.org>

**

*4pm Saturday June 18*

*THEME 3: SOME ALTERNATIVE PERSPECTIVES*

*
**“Sceptical questions from Chinese philosophy”*

**

*Our speaker, Karen Lai, *Associate Professor of Philosophy at the
University of NSW*. *will discuss Zhuangzi, a 4^th century BCE Chinese
philosopher, one of the foundational figures in the philosophy that has
come to be known as Daoism. Professor Lai will introduce us to some of
his ideas, and style of philosophising, as set out in /The Zhuanzgi/, a
later editing of his work. This text uses unsettling imagery and
stories, some of which involve talking animals, deformed trees and
hunchbacks, to muddy our presumption of a stable and unchanging world.

**

*Come and join us for a stimulating talk and lively discussion *at the
Hall at the Blackheath Neighbourhood Centre, cnr Gardiner Crescent & the
Great Western Highway, 4pm-6pm, followed by informal discussion at the
pub.Admission $10 includes a big afternoon tea before question time.
Hall is heated.All welcome!**

For more program details please go to blackheathphilosophy.org
<http://www.blackheathphilosophy.org>