[SydPhil] June 4 Blackheath Philosophy Forum

Sandra Darroch sjd at cybersydney.com.au
Sun May 29 13:41:53 AEST 2016

    *BLACKHEATH PHILOSOPHY FORUM*

    blackheathphilosophy.org <http://www.blackheathphilosophy.org>

    **

    4pm Saturday June 4

    **

    *"Love and Meaning”*

    **

    *Our speaker, Sam Shaoall*, *Lecturer in Philosophy at the
    University of Sydney, will discuss: “*Perennial philosophical
    questions about love remain unresolved. Is love an emotion, a mode
    of willing, or a special kind of cognition? Is love under our
    control, and can we be evaluated for it? Is love rational, or merely
    an expression of arbitrary passions? Is love a moral virtue, or a
    more mixed blessing? I begin to sort through these difficult
    questions by offering an account of love that rejects the common
    idea that love for persons is distinct from love for other kinds of
    objects, and that distinguishes love from other psychological
    phenomena via its connection to the perception of meaning.”

    **

    **

    *Come and join us for a stimulating talk and lively discussion *at
    the Hall at the Blackheath Neighbourhood Centre, cnr Gardiner
    Crescent & the Great Western Highway, 4pm-6pm, followed by informal
    discussion at the pub.Admission $10 includes a big afternoon tea
    before question time. Hall is heated.All welcome!**

    For more program details please go to blackheathphilosophy.org
    <http://www.blackheathphilosophy.org>