[SydPhil] Knowing Why: Ryan Cox, Thursday at 3.00

Kristie Miller kristie_miller at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 16:09:11 AEST 2016

Dear all, this coming Current Projects will be Ryan Cox presenting the following:

Title: Knowing Why

Abstract: We each seem to have a special way of knowing rational explanations of our own actions and mental states, a way by which we cannot know rational explanations of the actions and mental states of others. However, many theorists believe that things are not as they seem. They believe that we always know rational explanations of our own actions and mental states in the same way we know rational explanations of the actions and mental states of others, that is, by inference. Call this the inferential theory. The standard argument given for the inferential theory is a kind of inference to the best explanation. The explanandum of which the inferential theory is claimed to be the best explanation is a kind of systematic error and ignorance about rational explanations. In this paper I present two arguments against the inferential theory and criticise the standard argument for it.

As usual, papers are at 3.00 in the Muniment Room in the Main Quad.

Associate Professor Kristie Miller
Senior ARC Research Fellow
Joint Director, the Centre for Time
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry and
The Centre for Time
The University of Sydney
Sydney Australia
Room 407, A 14