[SydPhil] blackheath philosophy forum dates for april

Sandra Jobson Darroch sjd at cybersydney.com.au
Fri Apr 1 08:29:24 AEDT 2016

    Dear Sydphil,

    I'm sending all three of our April Blackheath PhilOsophy Forum
    events in this email because Easter has intervened and I'm not sure
    of your deadlines.

    I hope you can still include the item about our first Forum on April
    9 which is only a week away.

    Here are all three announcements.

    Many thanks,

    Sandra Darroch
    Secretary.

    *BLACKHEATH PHILOSOPHY FORUM*

    blackheathphilosophy.org <http://www.blackheathphilosophy.org>

    **

    *SATURDAY APRIL 9*

    4pm -6pm

    FIRST TALK *THEME 1: POLITICS, FREEDOM AND POWER**
    **" Free speech under threat?"*

    ***Our speaker, Michael Sexton SC, the *NSW Solicitor-General, will
    discuss the dilemma surrounding Free Speech:Freedom of speech is a
    key prerequisite for a functioning democracy. However few argue that
    free speech should be completely unconstrained.**

    ***Come and join us for a stimulating talk and lively discussion *at
    the Hall at the Blackheath Neighbourhood Centre, cnr Gardiner
    Crescent & the Great Western Highway, 4pm-6pm, followed by informal
    discussion at the pub.Admission $10 includes a big afternoon tea
    before question time. Hall is heated.All welcome!**

    For more program details please go to blackheathphilosophy.org
    <http://www.blackheathphilosophy.org>

    *    BLACKHEATH PHILOSOPHY FORUM*
    blackheathphilosophy.org <http://www.blackheathphilosophy.org>

    *SATURDAY APRIL 16, 201*6

    **

    4pm -6pm

    SECOND TALK *THEME 1: POLITICS, FREEDOM AND POWER*

    *"Biopolitics as a new paradigm of power"*****

    *Our speaker, **Vanessa Lemm*,Professor of Philosophy and Head of
    the School of Humanities at the University of NSW. will discuss the
    tendency to think of political theory and biological science as
    hermetically separate realms. She will draw on the work of the
    French philosopher and social theorist Michel Foucault to challenge
    this view,

    *Come and join us for a stimulating talk and lively discussion *at
    the Hall at the Blackheath Neighbourhood Centre, cnr Gardiner
    Crescent & the Great Western Highway, 4pm-6pm, followed by informal
    discussion at the pub.Admission $10 includes a big afternoon tea
    before question time. Hall is heated.All welcome!**

    For more program details please go to blackheathphilosophy.org
    <http://www.blackheathphilosophy.org>

    *BLACKHEATH PHILOSOPHY FORUM*
    blackheathphilosophy.org <http://www.blackheathphilosophy.org>

    ***SATURDAY APRIL 23*

    *4PM-6PM *

    THIRD TALK *THEME 1: POLITICS, FREEDOM AND POWER**
    **"The Left and identity politics"*****

    *Our speaker, Peter Baldwin, *former minister in the Hawke and
    Keating governments and currently chairs the Blackheath Philosophy
    Forum, will ask: What does it means when someone describes their
    politics as “left-wing” or “progressive”?