[SydPhil] Adam Hochman: Were the Middle Ages 'Raced'?

Kristie Miller kristie_miller at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 31 14:38:45 AEDT 2016

Dear all

This coming Thursday's (i.e. not today but next week) current project seminar will be Adam Hochman from Macquarie presenting the following:

Were the Middle Ages ‘Raced’?
A Problem for Social Constructionism About Race

Abstract

There is widespread agreement in the humanities that ‘race’ is modern and that ‘race’ is social. I argue that these two consensus positions are incommensurable. If ‘race’ is social, rather biological, then it is not modern. One of the consensus positions will need to be abandoned. I argue that it is the social consensus—social constructionism about race—which ought to go. Race is best understood as a modern biological concept which fails to refer. I suggest that the groups social constructionists call ‘races’ should be understood as ‘racialized groups’.

As usual, the seminar is held in the Muniment Room at USyd, and begins at 3.00 PM.

Associate Professor Kristie Miller
Senior ARC Research Fellow
Joint Director, the Centre for Time
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry and
The Centre for Time
The University of Sydney
Sydney Australia
Room 407, A 14