[SydPhil] CAVE/MQPhil Seminar: Luke Russell, "Forgiving Under Ignorance", Tues 1pm

Centre for Agency, Values, and Ethics arts.cave at mq.edu.au
Thu Oct 29 12:51:03 AEDT 2015

The Macquarie University Research Centre for Agency, Values, and Ethics
(CAVE), and the Macquarie Philosophy Department invite you to the following
work-in-progress seminar:

*Luke Russell (Sydney)*

*"Forgiving Under Ignorance"*

*Date: Tuesday 3 November 2015Time: 13:00 - 14:00*

*Venue: W3A 501 (Blackshield Room, Law School), Macquarie University*

Should we accept that the victim herself is best positioned to know whether
she has forgiven the perpetrator? Often victims of wrongdoing do not know
much about the perpetrator, especially about his current attitude towards
the wrong action in question. Victims might also be ignorant of relevant
facts regarding their own emotional dispositions and their own motives. In
this talk I ask whether these kinds of ignorance are a barrier that
prevents us from forgiving, and whether they make forgiveness epistemically
opaque to the would-be forgiver.

All welcome, no registration required.
Visit our website for other CAVE news and events: http://goo.gl/HvYH2s

--
Macquarie University Research Centre for Agency, Values and Ethics
Department of Philosophy