[SydPhil] Fwd: Macquarie Biology Seminar on elephant cognition - this Thursday 1-2 pm Biology Tearoom E8A280

John Sutton john.sutton at mq.edu.au
Wed Oct 7 09:53:38 AEDT 2015

Enquiries: Martin Whiting: martin.whiting at mq.edu.au

Prof. Richard Byrne (School of Psychology, University of St Andrews, UK)
will be giving a seminar on elephant cognition in the Biology tea room
E8A280 this Thursday 8 October, 1-2 pm. Dick will be around for the rest of
this week if anyone would like to meet with him. Please e-mail Martin
Whiting: martin.whiting at mq.edu.au

Elephant cognition
The elephants are ideal species for detecting signs of advanced
intelligence convergent with our own, as they are far removed from the
primate lineage yet highly social and able to interact with the world
deftly and precisely. However, their huge size means that field experiment
is essential to answer most questions, and findings are severely limited by
feasibility. This talk aims to show that we have only scratched the surface
in trying to understand the mind of these fascinating animals.

--
Dr Jon Brock
ARC Centre of Excellence in Cognition and its Disorders
Email: jon.brock at mq.edu.au
Phone: +61 (0)2 9850 6869
Web: ccd.edu.au/people/profile.html?memberID=203
<http://www.ccd.edu.au/people/profile.html?memberID=203>
Blog: crackingtheenigma.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @drbrocktagon <https://twitter.com/DrBrocktagon>

Professor John Sutton
Deputy Head, Department of Cognitive Science
Australian Hearing Hub
Macquarie University, Sydney,
NSW 2109, Australia
Phone: +61 (0)2 9850 4132