[SydPhil] MQ philosophy seminar

Rachael Brown rachael.brown at mq.edu.au
Thu Oct 1 10:34:25 AEST 2015

Please note the following upcoming event as part of the Macquarie
University Philosophy Work in Progress Seminar Series.

*"Is meaningless work a scourge of our times?"*
Nicholas Smith (MQ)

1-2pm, Tuesday, 6th October
Building W3A, Rm 501 (Blackshield Room)

Abstract:
Many social theorists and social philosophers take it for granted that
meaningful, fulfilling work is a rare commodity nowadays. Some take the
scarcity of meaningful work, and the degraded activity most people have to
do to earn a living, as a terrible indictment of modern society. But recent
large scale, sophisticated attitude surveys seem to contradict this
assumption, in recording high levels of job satisfaction, not just on a
one-off basis but consistently. Do such findings debunk old assumptions
about the scourge of meaningless work? I take a closer look.

Feel free to bring your lunch.

Contact: Rachael Brown (rachael.brown at mq.edu.au), Adam Hochman (
adam.hochman at mq.edu.au), Mike Olson (michael.olson at mq.edu.au)

A google calendar with details of other events in this series is available
for viewing and subscription by following this link:
http://tinyurl.com/k85h2dl.

UPCOMING SPEAKERS

13 Oct Jennifer Radden (UMass) (Joint CAVE seminar)

20 Oct TBA

27 Oct Daniel Hutto (Wollongong)

3 Nov Luke Russell (Sydney) (Joint CAVE seminar)

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile. Please excuse any typos or other errors.