[SydPhil] Title and Abstract for Ada Bronowski's Dept Seminar

Brian Hedden brian.hedden at sydney.edu.au
Wed Sep 9 00:19:11 AEST 2015

Hi all,

Here is the title and abstract for Ada Bronowski's (Oxford) department seminar talk at Sydney Uni this Wed, Sep 9 from 1-2:30pm in the Muniment Room.

The Stoics on the Possibility of Knowledge

The Stoics hold that a stable grasping of reality is possible though it may not amount to unshakable stalwart knowledge. I argue that for the Stoics, any rational being can access this state of grasping because it is the upshot of a mental capacity we are necessarily bound to put into operation, namely that of experiencing and mentally ordering objects from the sensible world. I offer an original interpretation relying on a reconsidered notion of Stoic empeiria or experience. It connects the Stoic theory of the development of reason and formation of conceptions with a more fluid oscillation between belief and knowledge so as to establish a peculiar relation between reason and the Stoic notion of experience, articulating a form of rational empiricism.