[SydPhil] MQ philosophy seminar: Toshiro Osawa

Rachael Brown rachael.brown at mq.edu.au
Sat Aug 22 10:50:16 AEST 2015

Please note the following upcoming event as part of the Macquarie
University Philosophy Work in Progress Seminar Series.

Making Sense of Kant's Ethics through the Backdoor: General Conception of
Duties towards Oneself in Baumgarten and Kant
Toshiro Osawa (MQ)

1-2pm, Tuesday, 18th August
Building W6A, Rm107 ***NOTE ROOM****

The ethics of Alexander Gottlieb Baumgarten (1714-62) exerted significant
influence on the formation of Kant’s ethics. The extent of this influence,
however, has not been sufficiently investigated in Kantian scholarship.
This paper seeks to address this gap, by exploring the ways in which
Baumgarten and Kant construe 'duties towards onesel' in general. For this
purpose, I proceed as follows: first, I examine Baumgarten’s general
conception of duties towards oneself; second, I discuss how Kant
re-conceptualises these duties. I will conclude that Kant carefully
reformulates many of the topics, concepts, and questions, which Baumgarten
deals with under the heading of duties towards oneself in his 'Ethica
philosophica' (first ed. 1740), as various forms of antinomy in direct
response to Baumgarten’s exposition of them.

Feel free to bring your lunch.

Contact: Rachael Brown (rachael.brown at mq.edu.au), Adam Hochman (
adam.hochman at mq.edu.au), Mike Olson (michael.olson at mq.edu.au)

A google calendar with details of other events in this series is available
for viewing and subscription by following this link:
http://tinyurl.com/k85h2dl

UPCOMING SPEAKERS

1 Sep Albert Atkin (MQ)

8 Sep Jennifer Mensch (UWS)

Sep 15 & 22: No Seminars due to mid-semester break

29 Sep Glenn Carruthers (MQ)

6 Oct Nick Smith (MQ)