[SydPhil] MQ WIP Philosophy Seminar: Neil Levy

Rachael Brown rachael.brown at mq.edu.au
Tue Aug 11 17:51:10 AEST 2015

Please note the following upcoming event as part of the Macquarie
University Philosophy Work in Progress Seminar Series.

Is self-control a character trait?
Neil Levy (MQ)

1-2pm, Tuesday, 18th August
Building W3A, Rm 501 (Blackshield Room)

Psychologists sometimes talk about trait self-control, thereby suggesting
that self-control is a character trait. It is true that there are
differences between people that are reasonably understood as differences in
their capacity to exercise self-control, and these differences seem to be
relatively stable across the lifespan. Nevertheless, I will suggest that
there are good reasons to deny that self-control is best conceived of as a
character trait. Success at self-control is best understood as dependent on
skills and strategies deployed by agents, not by reference to internal
states that are proprietary to the domain of self-control. We understand
the differences between agents in this domain by reference to their
embedding in the environment as much or more by reference to their
characters.

Feel free to bring your lunch.

Contact: Rachael Brown (rachael.brown at mq.edu.au), Adam Hochman (
adam.hochman at mq.edu.au), Mike Olson (michael.olson at mq.edu.au)

A google calendar with details of other events in this series is available
for viewing and subscription by following this link:
http://tinyurl.com/k85h2dl

UPCOMING SPEAKERS

25 Aug Toshiro Osawa (MQ)

1 Sep Albert Atkin (MQ)

8 Sep Jennifer Mensch (UWS)

Sep 15 & 22: No Seminars due to mid-semester break

29 Sep Glenn Carruthers (MQ)