[SydPhil] blackheath philosophy forum july 25

Sandra Jobson Darroch sjd at cybersydney.com.au
Mon Jul 20 13:15:22 AEST 2015

*BLACKHEATH PHILOSOPHY FORUM**
Saturday July 25
4pm-6pm
*
*"MUSIC AS PHILOSOPHY"*

The last talk in the Blackheath Philosophy Forum's 2015 season will take
a look at the relationship between Philosophy and Music.
Philosophers have traditionally shown a strong interest in music,
usually focussed on its sub-discipline of aesthetics. Some philosophers
(Adorno) have gone so far as to suggest that some musicians (Beethoven)
are actually doing philosophy. I will explore whether we are dealing
merely with an analogy, or whether there is a substantial, unique and
illuminating way in which philosophical thinking can be extended into
music, or musical-thinking into philosophy.
*SPEAKER:  Goetz Richter*, Associate Professor of Violin and Chair of
String Unit, University of Sydney

The Forum meets at the Blackheath Neighbourhood Hall cnr Gardiner
Crescent & the Great Western Highway, 4pm-6pm, followed by informal
discussion at the pub.Admission $10 includes a big afternoon tea before
question time. Hall is heated.

All welcome!

For more program details please go to blackheathphilosophy.org
<http://www.blackheathphilosophy.org>