[SydPhil] BLACKHEATH PHILOSOPHY FORUM JUNE 20

Sandra Jobson Darroch sjd at cybersydney.com.au
Wed Jun 17 13:30:00 AEST 2015

    *BLACKHEATH PHILOSOPHY FORUM*

    blackheathphilosophy.org <http://www.blackheathphilosophy.org>

    **

    *THE SCEPTICAL DEPTHS OF FILM*

    4pm Saturday 20 June

    We have all seen films that engage with philosophical themes or
    ideas. For example, the romantic comedy The Awful Truth (McCarey,
    1937) raises and answers the question ‘What is a (better) marriage?’
    And the sci-fi film The Matrix (Wachowski Brothers, 1999) toys with
    scepticism about the external world.

    Philosophers have tended to suppose that the important question
    about such films is whether they engage with philosophy passively,
    as mere exemplifications, or whether they engage with philosophy
    actively - as examples of thinking capable of contributing to our
    understanding of whatever is in question. Our speaker will suggest
    another way that films are philosophical, raising deep sceptical
    questions about our knowledge of each other.

    *Speaker: David Macarthur*, Associate Professor of Philosophy,
    University of Sydney

    The Forum meets at the Blackheath Neighbourhood Centre, cnr Gardiner
    Crescent & the Great Western Highway, 4pm-6pm, followed by informal
    discussion at the pub.Admission $10 includes a big afternoon tea
    before question time. Hall is heated.

    All welcome!

    For more program details please go to blackheathphilosophy.org
    <http://www.blackheathphilosophy.org>