[SydPhil] Colin Klein: Thursday 3.00

Kristie Miller kristie_miller at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 13 13:03:52 AEST 2015

Dear All

This Thursday’s current projects will be Colin Klein to talk to us about:

Processes and capacities in the study of cognitive control.

Cognition can be viewed as either a collection of ongoing processes or as a set of contextually triggered capacities. There is a metaphysical equivalence between the two, and many authors use the terms interchangeably. I argue, though, that focus on either processes or capacities introduces important methodological biases. I illustrate the point through a discussion of the diversity of models of cognitive control in humans.

As usual, papers are presented in the Muniment Room, Old Quad.

Associate Professor Kristie Miller
Senior ARC Research Fellow
Joint Director, the Centre for Time
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry and
The Centre for Time
The University of Sydney
Sydney Australia
Room 407, A 14