[SydPhil] MQ Philosophy Lunchtime Seminar Series

Rachael Brown rachael.brown at mq.edu.au
Fri Feb 27 11:16:08 AEDT 2015

Please note the following event in the Macquarie Philosophy Lunchtime
Seminar Series.

Title: "What can (and can't) non-human animals tell us about the human
mind?"
Speaker: Rachael Brown (Macquarie University)
Time and Location: Tuesday March 3rd, 1-2pm, Rm 107, Building W6A,
Macquarie University

Abstract: While it is universally accepted that non-human animal evidence
has a role to play in the study of the human mind, the limits of that role
are unclear. This leaves open the question of when we are justified in
making claims about the human mind of the basis of such evidence, and when
we are not. In my paper I respond to this question by exploring the types
of inferences that cognitive, scientists, neuroscientists and psychologists
make from non-human animals and their limits. Ultimately I hope to develop
a general guide for how we should use non-human evidence when theorising
about the human mind and a framework for assessing claims about the human
mind that are reliant on non-human animal evidence.

Feel free to bring your lunch. Bring a coffee mug if you would like a tea
or coffee.

Contact: Rachael Brown (rachael.brown at mq.edu.au), Paul Formosa (
paul.formosa at mq.edu.au), Mike Olson (mike.olson at mq.edu.au)

Other upcoming talks in this series:
March 10th: Adam Hochman (Macquarie)
March 17th: Rachael Briggs (ANU)
March 24th: Richard Menary (Macquarie)
March 31st: Katrina Hutchison (Macquarie)

A google calendar with details of other events in this series is available
for viewing and subscription by following this link:
http://tinyurl.com/k85h2dl