[SydPhil] [Philosophy at UWS seminar] 12 November - Richard Rushton: Deleuze, Finance Capital and Contemporary Hollywood

Philosophy@UWS Philosophy at uws.edu.au
Wed Nov 12 11:11:47 AEDT 2014

Philosophy at UWS presents A Research Seminar with
Richard Rushton<http://www.uws.edu.au/philosophy/philosophy@uws/events/research_seminars/research_seminars_2014/richard_rushton>
Deleuze, Finance Capital and Contemporary Hollywood

http://www.uws.edu.au/philosophy/philosophy@uws/events/research_seminars/research_seminars_2014/richard_rushton
DATE/TIME: Wednesday 19 November, 3.30pm - 5.00pm

PLACE: University of Western Sydney, Bankstown Campus, Building 3, Room 3.G.27  [How to get to Bankstown Campus] http://www.uws.edu.au/campuses_structure/cas/campuses/bankstown
All welcome
ABSTRACT: Gilles Deleuze, in Cinema 1: The Movement-Image, defines some aspects of the movement-image in terms derived from Marx's formulae for capitalist exchange. The large form of the action-image - SAS´ - corresponds to Marx's C-M-C formula of commodity exchange, while the small form of the action-image - ASA´ -  corresponds to monetary exchange, M-C-M.
In this paper, I denote the form of capital exchange appropriate to the age of finance capital, the age Deleuze referred to as one of 'control societies', in order to posit correspondences between these forms of finance capital and some narrative aspects post-classical Hollywood cinema. In doing so, I examine a range of recent Hollywood films, including Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (Brad Bird, 2011) and Man of Steel (Zack Snyder, 2013).

Visit Philosophy @ UWS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/philosophyuws
For future research seminars on Philosophy, please visit: http://www.uws.edu.au/philosophy/seminars2014
For further information in Philosophy at UWS, please visit: http://www.uws.edu.au/philosophy

Siobhain O'Leary
Administration Coordinator, Philosophy Research Initiative
University of Western Sydney
Bankstown Campus Building 5
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith NSW 2751