[SydPhil] UOW Philosophy Seminar: Colin Klein "Brain Regions as Difference-Makers."

michael kirchhoff michael.david.kirchhoff at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 08:22:27 AEDT 2014

UOW Philosophy Seminar, Spring 2014. All are welcome!

*Speaker*: Dr. Colin Klein (Macquarie University)

*Title*: "Brain Regions as Difference-Makers."

*Abstract*: It is common to speak of brain regions for particular cognitive
functions: regions for reading, for seeing faces, or for doing math. This
suggests that brain regions have a single function which they always and
uniquely perform. Advances in neuroscience show that this simple picture
cannot be correct. I suggest that we ought to instead read 'region for' as
designating brain areas which make a difference to the performance of
personal-level activities. I discuss how brain regions can have specific
and systematic relationships to personal-level activities, and argue that
this perspective lets neuroimaging indirectly constrain cognitive theories.

When: Wednesday 29 October

Time: 3:30 - 5:00pm

Where: Research Hub 19.2072B, building 19

There will be a student seminar from 2:00 - 2:45pm, also in the Research

Hub.

Best,

*Dr. Michael D. Kirchhoff *
Lecturer in Philosophy