[SydPhil] NISL SEMINAR: There is No ‘I’ in Law

Martin Krygier m.krygier at unsw.edu.au
Wed Oct 15 12:52:28 AEDT 2014

The UNSW Network for Interdisciplinary Studies of Law

invites you to attend a seminar:

Bronwen Morgan

ON

There is No ‘I’ in Law:
Researching the Sharing Economy from an Interdisciplinary Perspective

Wednesday, 29 OCTOBER 2014

DRINKS: 5.30 – 6.00 pm
SEMINAR AND DISCUSSION: 6.00 – 8.00 pm

Staff Common Room
2nd Floor
UNSW LAW SCHOOL

Would those interested in attending the seminar please let Jenny Jarrett (j.jarrett at unsw.edu.au) know ahead of time.

Abstract:
This talk will explore the methodological implications of legal subjectivity in three linked contexts. The first is that of my current research on small-scale, community-based responses to climate change that blend elements of ‘enterprise’ and ‘activism’. The second is the scope and tone of scholarly dialogue. The third is the implicit political community underpinning legal research, especially in the context of international and comparative research.
In essence, I am exploring three questions of central relevance to doctoral researchers: to what extent is each of us telling our own story? Who are ‘we’ talking with? What is the community anchoring the collectivity enacted by law? For each of these three questions, I draw out methodological implications with a particular emphasis on interdisciplinarity.
While the talk has been crafted with doctoral students particularly in mind, it is more open-ended provocation than step-by-step demonstration, and all colleagues are invited and welcome. I am offering a somewhat hybrid blend of biography, reflection, analysis and narrative that I hope will enliven debate and raise questions about the nature of (socio)-legal research in an ever-more rapidly changing academic environment.

Bronwen Morgan joined UNSW Law School in October 2012, after 7 years at the University of Bristol, UK as Professor of Socio-legal Studies, and 6 years at the University of Oxford in association with the Centre for Socio-legal Studies, and both St Hilda’s College and Wadham College. Her research has long focused on transformations of the regulatory state in both national-comparative and transnational contexts but more recently, she has become particularly interested in the interaction between regulation and rights, especially in the context of social activism and claims for social and economic human rights. These lines of interest can be seen in her two most recent projects: one on the rise of the regulatory state in the developing world, and another on access to urban water services in comparative perspective. Currently she is working on two research projects: one on legal support structures for social activists and social enterprises responding to climate change in Australia and the UK (funded by an ARC Future Fellowship), and a second project (with Navroz Dubash, funded by the International Development Research Centre of Canada) on sub-national and local dimensions of climate change policy in developing countries, particularly India and South Africa.