[SydPhil] Free Public Lecture - Peter Forrest, The Epistemology of Scandal THIS FRIDAY

Andrew Murray APMurray at cis.catholic.edu.au
Wed Oct 1 11:58:00 AEST 2014

Biennial Conference in Philosophy, Religion and Culture

PUBLIC LECTURE:

Professor Peter Forrest, University of New England

'The Epistemology of Scandal'

'How can you continue to believe in the face of scandals?' This question is widely asked, but I shall concentrate on the case of Roman Catholicism, leaving to others the application to their faith, religious or secular.   The sexual abuse of children by clergy is shocking in the extreme, but as an intellectual challenge it may be rebutted by noting that the reality of sin is a central Christian doctrine: the Church never claimed that its clergy were holy. The scandal that defeats faith in the Church is not this initial abuse, horrific though that is, but its cover-up and the resulting further wrong to victims.

Although the way scandal defeats faith seems obvious to some, to others it looks like the ad hominem fallacy of criticizing the advocate rather than what is advocated  -   'playing the man not the ball'. I shall argue that scandal undermines faith in the Catholic Church, by rebutting the Church's claim to holiness. That is no fallacy. We should all distinguish, however, between faith in the Catholic Church and a Catholic faith. The latter, informed by centuries of tradition, may reasonably be maintained or   converted to in spite of a heartfelt recognition of the gravity of the scandals, which, to the Church's shame, are also centuries old.

7.30 PM Friday 3 October 2014

At: Catholic Institute of Sydney, 99 Albert Rd, Strathfield NSW 2135

Full details are available on the website:
http://www.cis.catholic.edu.au/news-a-events/biennial-conference

Andrew Murray SM PhD
Senior Lecturer in Philosophy, Catholic Institute of Sydney
Visiting Fellow, State Society and Governance in Melanesia, ANU

Catholic Institute of Sydney
99 Albert Rd
Strathfield NSW 2135
Australia
Tel: +61 2 9752 9514
Email: apmurray at cis.catholic.edu.au
Web: www.cis.catholic.edu.au
Catholic Institute of Sydney is a Member Institution of the Sydney College of Divinity
SCD CRICOS Registration 02948J

Warning: The information contained in this email is intended for the addressee named above.  If you have received this email in error, I apologise for any inconvenience and request that you notify me and delete all copies of the email.