[SydPhil] USyd Postgrad Colloquium September 15: Yarran Hominh 'Mandelbrot Ethics (sic): Between ethics and metaethics'

Gabriel Watts gabriel.watts at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 10:17:56 AEST 2014

Dear all,

The next USyd philosophy postgraduate colloquium will be held on
Monday September 15 @ 2pm in the Muniment room (Quadrangle building,
University of Sydney).  This week afternoon tea will be held *during*,
rather than after, the talk.  All very welcome!!

Talk details:
Speaker:  Yarran Hominh
Title: Mandelbrot Ethics (sic): Between ethics and metaethics

This talk will be devoted to an idea for a paper, not a paper in
itself. In the talk, I attempt to define a new space for ethics
between first-order ethics and second-order metaethics. My central
idea is that this '1.5 order space' can be defined methodologically,
an idea that I borrow from a debate in the social sciences between the
'external' and 'internal' perspectives on a practice. This idea is
almost entirely undeveloped, so the vast bulk of the talk time will be
devoted to discussion and criticism of the basic idea. If you are
interested in ethics/metaethics please come to the talk and help me
flesh out this idea.