[SydPhil] UOW Philosophy Workshop on Imagination and Pretense

Patrick McGivern patrickm at uow.edu.au
Wed May 7 21:13:37 AEST 2014

UOW Philosophy is hosting an afternoon workshop on Imagination and Pretense, with Ian Ravenscroft (Flinders), Zuzanna Rucinska (Hertfordshire), and Dan Hutto (UOW). Everyone is welcome to attend!

When: Friday, May 16th, 2:30 – 5:30

Where: Research Hub, Building 19, University of Wollongong

Ian Ravenscroft, “Is the simulation model of imagination and pretence any good?”

Abstract: I present a potted history of simulationist models of mindreading, empathy, pretence and imagination. I used to be very keen on these models, but now I think that, whilst they remain of value, there are deep problems with them. The problems I will discuss include testability; lack of details about so-called “pretend” inputs; an overly narrow focus on beliefs and desires; and an absence of consideration of what might broadly be called “embodiment”.

Zuzanna Rucinska, “Towards enactive pretence: about, alternative and application”

Abstract: This talk will give an overview of how pretend play has been dealt with in the philosophical literature. To date, the best models of explaining how we engage in pretend play are representational, even when representations are understood in the weakest sense. I will show that there are worries with this status-quo approach to pretence, and propose an embodied and enactive alternative, focusing in particular on the concept of affordances that can take over some of the roles mental representations were supposed to play. Finally, I will show that there are clear benefits of endorsing an enactive approach to pretend play, focusing on its application to the fields of acting, family therapy and sports.

Dan Hutto, “Recreative imagining without content”

Abstract to follow.

Contact Patrick McGivern or Dan Hutto at UOW for more information.