[SydPhil] Next USyd Postgrad Colloquium May 12: Louise Richardson-Self, "What's so bad about sexual objectification?"

Elena Walsh elenawalsh at gmail.com
Tue May 6 14:51:12 AEST 2014

Dear all,
The next philosophy postgraduate colloquium will be held on Monday May 12 @
2pm in the Muniment room (Quadrangle building, University of Sydney).

Talk details:

Speaker:  Louise Richardson-Self

*What's so bad about sexual objectification?*

In this paper I critique Martha Nussbaum's influential argument that
'objectification' should be understood as a cluster concept; one that is
not necessarily morally problematic. Nussbaum maintains, along Kantian
lines, that instrumentalisation is the most morally exigent component of
objectification, but that not all instrumentalisation is problematic. I
argue instead that denial of subjectivity in conjunction with
instrumentalisation are both necessary and sufficient for objectification,
and that objectification is always morally impermissible. I argue further
that there are good pragmatic reasons for adopting this definition, which
Nussbaum's theory neglects.

All most welcome!!