[SydPhil] [Thinking Out Loud] Peter Szendy on "The Aesthetic Supermarket"

Dimitris Vardoulakis D.Vardoulakis at uws.edu.au
Mon Apr 28 14:15:20 AEST 2014

[ToL2014_Aesthetic Supermarket.jpg]There are a few places still available for this year's Thinking Out Loud lectures. Please register if you would like to attend: www.uws.edu.au/thinkingoutloud<http://www.uws.edu.au/thinkingoutloud>

Philosophy at UWS, in collaboration with Fordham University Press, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation and the State Library of New South Wales warmly invite you to the 2014 "Thinking Out Loud: The Sydney Lectures in Philosophy and Society."

This year's lectures, titled
The Aesthetic Supermarket
will be delivered by
Professor Peter Szendy.

What is art? Is it an aesthetic experience for the few or a mass activity to change the world? For Peter Szendy, this is a false dilemma. In our global economy the experience of art, he argues, is parallel to the workings of the market. Art trades images, the market trades commodities. In the aesthetic supermarket of our day both art and the market rely on exchange to realize their aims.

Monday, May 5, 2014, Lecture 1:
"From the Department Store to the Shopping Mall: Cinema and its Markets"
Wednesday, May 7,2014,Lecture 2:
"The Value of images"
Friday, May 9,2014,Lecture 3:
"The Commodity Gaze"

5.30 pm to 7.30 pm (including drinks reception from 5.30 to 6pm)
Metcalfe Auditorium (State Library of NSW)
$10 per lecture or $25 for the entire series, booking essential
www.uws.edu.au/thinkingoutloud<http://www.uws.edu.au/thinkingoutloud>

Dimitris Vardoulakis
University of Western Sydney
School of Humanities and Communication Arts
Bankstown Campus, 7.G.10
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith, NSW 2751
Australia