[SydPhil] SHAPE talk schedule

David Macarthur david.macarthur at sydney.edu.au
Tue Apr 15 22:38:47 AEST 2014

There will be no SHAPE seminar this week on account of its being Good Friday.

The next SHAPE talk will be on April 25 when Prof. Richard Eldridge will present a paper titled “How Movies Think: Cavell on Film as a Medium of Art”.

Abstract
Stanley Cavell’s writing about movies, from the more theoretical and general (The World Viewed (1971)] to the later
works on specific genres (Pursuits of Happiness, Contesting Tears) has a unifying theme: that (some) movies
as (successful) art investigate conditions of accomplished selfhood and interest in experience in medium-specific
ways.  This claim is explained and defended by explicating the details of moving photographic image medium-specificity
(and its history of uses) and by focusing on Michael Verhoeven’s 1990 The Nasty Girl / Das schreckliche Mädchen.
Though the very ideas of accomplished selfhood and interest in experience naturally prompt some suspicion in a
commercialized, pluralistic society, our responses to (some) movies show that we continue to aspire to life
that embodies them.

Place: S401, Muniment Room (1st floor, under the clock tower in the Main Quad).

Time: 10.30am

David

Dr. David Macarthur | Senior Lecturer & UG Coordinator
Philosophy Department, SOPHI | FASS
THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
NSW, 2006 | Australia
Ph: +61 2 9351 3193