[SydPhil] Presentation at Imperial Hotel: Revisiting the History & Evolution of Economic Thought.

Simon Gisbert simonbaycom at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 9 18:54:25 AEST 2014

Revisiting the History & Evolution of Economic Thought.
Precis: "Practical men, who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influences, are usually the slaves of some defunct economist..." (Todd Buccholz, author of New Ideas from Dead Economists). As much as many of us hate economists, we all love to sound like one. Some simplify arguments that limit people's choices between the left and the right, between the government and the market or, worse, between two political parties. By reflecting on the origins and evolution of economic thought, we will endeavour to widen our gaze beyond such limited binary thinking and open new directions in economic discourse.
Resume of Presenter: Joffre Balce is the Assistant Secretary of the Association for Good Government, a 113 year old NGO focused on economic education based on the primary sources 19th century American intellectual, Henry George. He was a PhD candidate at the UNSW Law Faculty, holds a MSc in Industrial Economics from the University of Asia and the Pacific, a former chief economist of the Philippine Deposit Insurance Corp., that country's bank regulator and liquidator and research head of a Manila-based affiliate of Standard Chartered Securities, and worked on various development projects in Western Europe, the USA & Asia.

At the Imperial Hotel Paddington, 252 Oxford Street, Sydney.
On Tuesday, May 6, 2014, at 7.00pm.
http://www.meetup.com/The-Philosophers-Corner/events/175972212/

Alec Gisbert
Founder of The Philosophers' Corner.

The information contained in this email is confidential. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you receive this email in error please contact the sender and delete the email. The sender of this email has no liability (including liability in negligence) to any person for any loss or damage consequential or otherwise suffered or incurred by that person resulting directly in indirectly from either the use of, or reliance on, the information contained herein.