[SydPhil] : Biennial Conference 2014 – Call for Papers

Andrew Murray APMurray at cis.catholic.edu.au
Mon Feb 24 13:27:00 AEDT 2014

The Biennial Conference in Philosophy, Religion and Culture will take place 4 – 5 October 2014

Theme: FAITH AND THE POLITICAL

The theme is to be interpreted broadly and from the disciplines of philosophy, theology, history, social science, literature and the arts.  Topics that might be investigated include: scandal in/of Christianity; structures of belief and opinion; secularisation, fundamentalism and inculturation; politics in the Bible and the Bible in politics; religion in the public forum; Christian ethics in a liberal democracy; liberation and equality.

The conference specifically aims to foster interaction between scholars in the universities and scholars in theological colleges.  It also encourages young scholars.

Keynote Speaker: Peter Forrest: The Epistemology of Scandal

'How can you continue to believe in the face of scandals?'. This question is not, I submit, merely a manifestation of the ad hominem fallacy exemplified by, "How can you take Frege seriously when he was a bigot?' Nor can it be dismissed by noting that the reality of sin is a central Christian doctrine.  I argue that 'right reason' requires not merely the rational assessment of doctrines but a way of deciding which doctrines to assess. Scandal undermines the appeal to authority when assessing but not the reliance on traditions when deciding what to assess. As a consequence, scandal tends to undermine 'simple faith' and mandates the, not necessarily academic, philosophical reflection on faith.

Proposals Due: 20 June 2014

Convenors: Stephen Buckle (ACU), William Emilsen (UTC/CSU), Peter Forrest (UNE), John McDowell (Newcastle), Shane Mackinlay (CTC/MCD), Andrew Murray (CIS/SCD)

Venue: Catholic Institute of Sydney

Contact: Andrew Murray: apmurray at cis.catholic.edu.au<mailto:apmurray at cis.catholic.edu.au>

Full details are available on the website:

http://www.cis.catholic.edu.au/news-a-events/biennial-conference

Apologies for cross postings.

Andrew Murray SM PhD
Senior Lecturer in Philosophy, Catholic Institute of Sydney
Visiting Fellow, State Society and Governance in Melanesia, ANU

Catholic Institute of Sydney
99 Albert Rd
Strathfield NSW 2135
Australia
Tel: +61 2 9752 9514
Fax: + 61 2 9746 6022
Email: apmurray at cis.catholic.edu.au
Web: www.cis.catholic.edu.au
Catholic Institute of Sydney is a Member Institution of the Sydney College of Divinity
SCD CRICOS Registration 02948J

Warning: The information contained in this email is intended for the addressee named above.  If you have received this email in error, I apologise for any inconvenience and request that you notify me and delete all copies of the email.