[SydPhil] USyd Postgrad Work in Progress Talk 28/10/13

Simon Varey simonvarey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 12:38:51 AEDT 2013

Here are the details for the next USyd Postgrad Work in Progress talk:

Speaker: Gabriel Watts

Title: Herder’s Theological Anthropology

The thought of J.G. Herder displays a palpable tension between his deep
commitment to an empirically informed naturalism and his visceral sense of
the religious. Nowhere is this tension more apparent than in Herder’s
frequent claim that man is made in the image of God. In line with his
rejection of speculative philosophy and theology, Herder rejects orthodox
theological anthropologies. But his unique interpretation of the image of
God doctrine sees that a theologically inspired understanding of human
nature informs both his major works in the philosophy of history. In this
paper I trace Herder’s attempt to make the image of God doctrine
comprehensible within an 18th century natural scientific milieu. In doing
so I suggest that Herder’s genius was to make the image of God doctrine
both conceptually coherent and empirically defeasible.

Time: 4:30pm, Mon Oct 28
Location: S401, Main Quad, University of Sydney

Hope to see you all there,
Simon Varey
Postgraduate Colloquium Co-ordinator