[SydPhil] USyd Postgrad Work in Progress Talk 9/9/13

Simon Varey simonvarey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 11:41:16 AEST 2013

Here are the details for the next USyd Postgrad Work in Progress talk (note
we have a new location):

Speaker: Simon Varey

Title: A Conceptual Analysis of Irony

Something is ironic if and only if it is expected to have a property
*P*and it in fact has the complete opposite property to
*P*. In this paper I want to discuss this analysis of (at least one form
of) irony, and some of the various nuances and concerns it raises. In
particular I want to examine the possible liar-like paradox it seems to
engender, if something can be expected only to be ironic. I will also
question how many cases and kinds of irony this analysis can account for,
and what relation this analysis has to other analyses of the notion.
Time: 4:30pm, Mon Sep 9
Location: S401, Main Quad, University of Sydney
Hope to see you all there,
Simon Varey
Postgraduate Colloquium Co-ordinator