[SydPhil] UNSW seminar, Tuesday 6 August, Dr Dimitris Vardoulakis, The Unsaveables: Sovereignty and Biopolitics in the 18th Brumaire

Joanne Faulkner j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au
Wed Jul 31 14:59:40 AEST 2013

Date:               Tuesday 6 August
Time:              1 p.m.
Venue:           Morven Brown 310, University of NSW (map reference C20: (1.7MB)<http://www.facilities.unsw.edu.au/Maps/pdf/kensington.pdf>)

Dr Dimitris Vardoulakis (UWS)

The Unsaveables: Sovereignty and Biopolitics in the 18th Brumaire

I approach the 18th Brumaire from a double trajectory. First, I examine its relation to how the exception was thought in the work of Carl Schmitt and Walter Benjamin’s response to it. Second, I analyze the ways in which the rise of Bonaparte to power was carried out through forms of regulating the behaviour of those sections of the population who supported him. A key insight in Marx’s analysis, according my reading, is that every time society is “saved” the circle of power contracts. The question I pose, then, is whether it is possible to identify anyone who is “unsaveable” – in other words, anyone who resists the workings of sovereign power.

Dimitris Vardoulakis is senior lecturer in philosophy at the University of Western Sydney. His books include the monographs The Doppelganger: Literature’s Philosophy (2010), and Sovereignty and its Other: Toward the Dejustifications of Violence (2013), both with Fordham UP. He is also the editor of the volume Spinoza Now (U of Minnesota P, 2011).

Coordinator:
Dr Joanne Faulkner, j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au
Philosophy, School of Humanities and Languages

Dr Joanne Faulkner
ARC DECRA Research Fellow
School of Humanities
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences