[SydPhil] Falling through time: Craig Callender

Kristie Miller kristie_miller at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 29 16:57:21 AEST 2013

A CHAST LECTURE, http://sydney.edu.au/chast/

FALLING THROUGH TIME

Craig Callender

As we navigate through life, we adopt an implicit model of time that is very important to us.  In this model, the present is special, the past fixed and the future open, and this whole structure "flows" forward.  Call this model Manifest Time.  Physics suggests that Manifest Time is fundamentally wrong about time.  So why do we all naturally adopt this model?  Why do we feel as if we're falling through time if we aren't?  By appealing to work in physics, philosophy and psychology, I'll develop an answer.