[SydPhil] Macquarie Cog Sci talk Wed 7 Aug, 12.30: Jeremy Wolfe, 'If I can see so much, why do I miss so much?'

John Sutton john.sutton at mq.edu.au
Fri Jul 26 19:41:59 AEST 2013

This talk will be of interest to many philosophers.
Inquiries to Anina Rich (anina.rich at mq.edu.au)

Extra Department seminar on *WED 7th AUG @ 12.30pm *in the* *3rd floor
CogSci *seminar room, Australian Hearing Hub* (new building, just off
Epping Road).

Prof. Jeremy Wolfe (Visual Attention Lab, Harvard Medical School / Brigham
& Women's Hospital)
Visual Attention Lab website: http://search.bwh.harvard.edu/new/*

Title
"If I can see so much, why do I miss so much?" *

Abstract:
You can understand a scene within a fraction of a second. If you examine
that for a few seconds, you will recognize it, even several days later.
Nevertheless, we can easily show that you are ‘blind’ or at least
remarkably amnesic about very basic aspects of what you have seen (For
example; “What color was right there a moment ago?”). Moreover, people are
typically blind to this blindness, overestimating what they can see or have
seen. These blindnesses may be one root of errors in important tasks like
airport security and cancer screening. This, in turn, may provide
opportunities for technological interventions to help us see what needs to
be seen.
*
*

--
Professor John Sutton
Deputy Head, Department of Cognitive Science
Email: john.sutton at mq.edu.au