[SydPhil] UNSW Philosophy Seminar, Tuesday: Neil Sinhababu, "Desire's Explanations"

Joanne Faulkner j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au
Thu May 30 15:38:37 AEST 2013

Date:               Tuesday 4 June
Time:              12 p.m.*
Venue:           Morven Brown 209, University of NSW (map reference C20: (1.7MB)<http://www.facilities.unsw.edu.au/Maps/pdf/kensington.pdf>)*

* Please note the change of time and venue for this event.

Dr Neil Sinhababu (National University of Singapore)

Desire’s Explanations

I'll present an account of what desire is. Desire motivates action when combined with a means-end belief, causes pleasure when we vividly imagine its object or have an increase in the subjective
probability of satisfaction, directs our attention towards things in the environment that we associate with the satisfaction of our desires, and does more of all these things when we have vivid images
of its object. This account is meant to help an a posteriori defense of the Humean theory of motivation, on which desire motivates all our action and drives all our reasoning.

Neil Sinhababu is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Philosophy at the National University of Singapore. His research interests include ethics and metaethics, particularly concerning desire and belief. He has published on Humean ethics and Nietzsche, including his coedited book (with Brian Leiter), Nietzsche and Morality (Oxford UP, 2007), and articles in Noûs and Philosophical Review.

Coordinator:
Dr Joanne Faulkner, j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au
School of Humanities

Dr Joanne Faulkner