[SydPhil] Reminder: Foundations of Physics talk: Ben-Menahem on Symmetry and Causation

Matthew Farr matt.farr at sydney.edu.au
Tue May 28 22:53:07 AEST 2013

This week's Sydney Foundations of Physics talk is on Thursday 30th May. Our speaker is Yemima Ben-Menahem from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, known for her influential work on conventionalism in the philosophy of science. Details as follows:

Speaker: Yemima Ben-Menahem (Sydney)
Title: Symmetry and Causation.

Abstract: The broad picture of causation recommended in this paper draws on an examination of causal notions and causal constraints employed in physics and an analysis of some of their interrelations. These notions and constraints include locality, determinism, stability, variation principles, conservation laws, and, in particular, symmetries, on which I focus here. I motivate the inclusion of symmetries in the causal family both by looking at the way symmetries function in the causal reasoning of the physicist, and by clarifying the relations between symmetries and other members of the causal family.

Time: Thursday 30th May, 11:30-13:00
Location: Philosophy Common Room S413, Main Quad - A14, University of Sydney.

This talk is highly recommended. All are welcome!

A list of future SydFoP talks is available here: http://newagendasstudyoftime.wordpress.com/events/

If you'd like to give a talk, or know of any future visitors who would like to give a talk, please contact me at matt.farr at sydney.edu.au<mailto:matt.farr at sydney.edu.au>.

All the best
Matt
DR MATT FARR | Postdoctoral Research Fellow
New Agendas for the Study of Time<http://newagendasstudyoftime.wordpress.com/> | Centre for Time
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry | Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Room N494 | Quadrangle A14
University of Sydney | NSW | 2006

T +61 2 9114 0633<tel:%2B61%202%209114%200633> | F +61 2 9351 3918<tel:%2B61%202%209351%203918>
E matt.farr at sydney.edu.au<mailto:matt.farr at sydney.edu.au>
W mattfarr.co.uk<http://mattfarr.co.uk/>