[SydPhil] UNSW seminar, Tuesday: Max Rabie

Joanne Faulkner j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au
Wed May 8 16:48:41 AEST 2013

Date:               Tuesday 14 May
Time:              1 p.m.
Venue:           Morven Brown 310, University of NSW (map reference C20: (1.7MB)<http://www.facilities.unsw.edu.au/Maps/pdf/kensington.pdf>)

Max Rabie (University of NSW)

Ghostly Subjects

In a very recent paper, Anders Schoubye argues for a very bold thesis. Schoubye argues from examples for the conclusion that any theory for any determiner D according to which sentences of the form DΦ is/are Ψ assert the existence of things that satisfy Φ faces a severe problem. Schoubye suggests that the problem is so severe that, ʽradical changes to our semantic systems are needed, if a proper semantic analysis of the existence commitments incurred by various natural language determiners is to be devoid,ʼ (forthcoming, p. 13). If Schoubye is right, then something is very rotten in the state of static semantics. Fortunately, however, Schoubyeʼs argument falls short of establishing what it purports to establish.

Max Rabie is a late stage PhD candidate in Philosophy, the School of Humanities, University of NSW. He is completing a thesis on the question of whether we can determine the semantics of descriptions, under the supervision of Michaelis Michaels.

Coordinator:
Dr Joanne Faulkner, j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au<mailto:j.faulkner at unsw.edu.au>
School of Humanities

Dr Joanne Faulkner