[SydPhil] Remider HPS Research seminar

Debbie Castle debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au
Wed Apr 17 15:43:44 AEST 2013

Dear All
When:Monday 22nd April 2013 from 6pm
Where:  NEW LAW ANNEX SEMINAR ROOM 105

PETER ANSTEY (University of Sydney)
  'Experimental pedagogy and the eclipse of Robert Boyle'
The most important development in early modern natural philosophy was the emergence of the experimental philosophy in the mid-seventeenth century. Robert Boyle was in the vanguard of this development as a practitioner, a theoretician and as an exemplar of an experimental philosopher. However, by the fourth decade of the eighteenth century Boyle's standing as a natural philosopher, as well as the actual content of his natural philosophy, had very much moved from the centre to the periphery. This paper is an attempt to provide at least a partial answer as to why Boyle was eclipsed in the eighteenth century. What I propose is a broad explanatory hypothesis that I believe goes a long way to clarifying just what forces were at play in Boyle's shift from centre to the periphery.

Debbie Castle
Administration Officer
Unit for History and Philosophy of Science
Room 441, Carslaw Building F07| THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY   NSW  2006
T: + 61 2  9351 4226 E: debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au<mailto:debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au>
OFFICE HOURS: MONDAY, TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY 9AM TO 4.30PM
www.sydney.edu.au/science/hps<http://www.sydney.edu.au/science/hps>