[SydPhil] Costica Bradatan, Macquarie University Philosophy seminar, Fri Feb 1, 1.30-3.30

Robert Sinnerbrink robert.sinnerbrink at mq.edu.au
Tue Jan 29 16:30:11 AEDT 2013

Dear All,

The following item may be of interest:

We are getting off to an early start this year and our first
departmental seminar will be Friday 1st of February (sorry for the
short notice), the usual time of 1:30-3:30, in the Anthropology
meeting room (W6A 708) - the room at the end of the corridor on level
7.

Our speaker is Costica Bradatan who is Associate Prof at Texas Tech
University and Visiting Fellow, University of Notre Dame. His talk
will be held on Friday 1st of February (sorry for the short notice),
at the usual time of 1:30-3:30, in the Anthropology meeting room (W6A
708) - the room at the end of the corridor on level 7.

Costica Bradatan,
Macquarie Departmental Philosophy seminar
Friday February 1, 1.30-3.30
W6A Building, Room 708

Paper title: “The Art of Dying and Planting Cabbages. Some Remarks on
Michel de Montaigne.”

Abstract: In this talk I will consider Michel de Montaigne’s Essays from two
distinct angles: 1) as a preeminently performative text, the writing
of which occasions a process of self-creation in its author.
Montaigne's book is not just an exercise in self-examination, but one
in self-creation and self-configuration through writing. We can
discover who we are only to the extent that we constantly “write
ourselves.” And 2) as a text that makes the “domestication” of death
an imperative for a good life. In the latter half of my talk I will
discuss primarily the essay "That to philosophize is to learn how to
die," and dwell on the notion of one’s mortality (and proximity to
death) as a factor of individuation. We realize our individuality only
when we become  fully aware of the possibility of our non-being. There
might be in Montaigne more Heidegger than one would suspect.

We look forward to seeing you there!

--
Dr Robert Sinnerbrink
Senior Lecturer, Department of Philosophy

email: robert.sinnerbrink at mq.edu.au
Tel: +612 9850 9935
Fax: +612 9850 8892
http://www.mq.edu.au/about_us/faculties_and_departments/faculty_of_arts/department_of_philosophy/staff/robert_sinnerbrink/

Academia page: http://mq.academia.edu/RobertSinnerbrink
Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/author/robertsinnerbrink
Editorial Board, Film-Philosophy Journal:
http://www.film-philosophy.com/index.php/f-p
Executive Committee, Australasian Society for Continental Philosophy
http://www.ascp.org.au/